Thursday, February 08, 2007

Changed by the Strange

Changed by the Strange was the early shorts screening on Wednesday evening.
Some great works, including "The Saddest Boy in the World" by Jamie Travis, and "The Tragic Story of Nling. " Animated. Very cool. Each frame was scanned into a computer, printed, and then filmed. Like nothing I've ever seen before. Awesome. And there was an alcoholic talking donkey. (Does it get any better?)

Alex Ferrari's BROKEN left a little to be desired. It looked great, and was well edited...but...
Perhaps I'm a film snob, but there was no story, at least not anything new. Bad guy with scars, who talks too much to shoot the hero before someone comes to rescue her in a hail of bullets. It played like a bad shoot-em-up video game translated into a film. The make-up and special effects were great, and I'm sure Ferrari could make a killer action feature-length film. I guess what I'm trying to say is: genre calling card film. Great if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not.

Another Q+A with a local filmmaker, Cathleen Thom, whose "How to make Art: A Documentary" started of the night with some good ol' homegrown hand-processed and manipulated stop-motion negatives. Now that's something I can get into, the human touch and more heart than gunfire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home