Saturday, February 03, 2007

Away From Her - Gala

I got there early, really early, just to ensure I didn't get the neck-bender seats in the front row. I have to be careful, too many films to see in the next ten days to throw my neck out on Gala night.

Gordon Pinsent got up before the screening to welcome a packed house, and spoke briefly about what a great experience making the film was. Away from Her has deserves every bit of praise it has received for good reason. Phenomenal Cinema to kick off the Festival.

It was thick with Canadian references (we love those) and golden moments of humour to balance out the moments of heartbreak. Heavy. The weight followed me to the Gala party at the Empress, but luckily, a tray of beer floated past me as soon as I made it in the door, A tasty Nut Brown Ale jumped into my hand and whispered to me, "this is a party, Scott, lighten up." Ahhh. Barley Wisdom.

I mingled my way through, rubbing elbows with the film community. Everyone was all glitzed up, there were dainty snackables everywhere, and an R&B Band to get everyone's groove on. Classy, classy stuff. I wonder how I managed to talk my way into this gig.

David Foster made an appearance, but I missed him. I had worked out the theme from St. Elmo's Fire on slide whistle. I wanted to play it for him. All that practice for nothing. Oh well.

While following around the free drinks floating around the room on trays. I slipped by the entrance to the media section, and was stopped by a friendly gentleman. "Hi," he said, ""are you here to meet someone?"
"Yeah, I'm here to meet up with that martini over there" I said, pointing to the server.
"This is the media section"
"I am media, I think."
He just looked at me.
"I'm the blogger," I explained, shrugging. "Does that count?" and by that time, someone was already making time with my martini. But hope wasn't lost, there were other trays, with other drinks, that I got to know instead.

A fantastic start to my cinephiliac week.

I can't say enough about Away From Her. If you get a chance to catch it at the Star in Sydney tonight at 7:00, do it. The advance tickets sold out, but there are about 50 tickets at the door, I hear. Get there early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home