Thursday, February 08, 2007

Shorts At Plan B

Slacking on the blog. Apologies, work is getting in the way of my festing.

As planned, I made it to the shorts screenings over the last two nights, all 4 of them at Plan B. As always, I was thoroughly impressed with the selection.
For most of the screenings, there were some of the filmmakers in attendance that got up for Q+A sessions afterward. It's one of the reasons I love the shorts screenings, you get to put a face to the work and meet the feature film directors of the Future.

On the list of talanted filmmakers I had the pleasure of meet an interogating:

Jamie Travis, his Patterns Trilogy screened during "Play with my Head." Just when I thought it couldn't get any more bizarre. Love his stuff. Very talented BC filmmaker who is moving to Toronto, and mentioned plans for a feature. Exciting news.

Marjorie Celona, who directed "Nicht Angegeben," a beautiful, dark tale. meticulously executed, haunting. Plus she's a sweetheart in real life.

Sam Scott, the Animator and Director of The Merry Sea-Gentleman. Love the textures of his animation style, and I'm happy to spread the rumour that there are more films in the works.

Erika Piero - producer of "The Universal Hanging Together of all Things" I had seen this film before through a secret link on the internet (I feel so in-the-loop) because a friend of mine went to school with the filmmakers. Very Professional looking student production. Fun film, I'll bet you can hunt it down online. Do it.

Annye Cantongue - repetetive overlapping words, a visual poem. Originally it was in French, but required subtitling for the festival circuit, so she made an english version. It was beyond language. Trippy.

Russell Reillander - Director of The Beverage Enthusiasts," a fun romp, chaplin-esque, silent. A local character with a wacky sense of humour. I'm disappointed to see more of our local talent escaping to Toronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home